Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sugar is not just bad for your butt.........and a little duck anyone?

(note:  you are entering a pretty lengthy post - get comfie :))

A visit to my Naturopathic Doctor (ND) yesterday, is inspring this post.    Feel it worthy of discussion, since it rarely is discussed, never mind addressed by regular mainstream GP's.

My call to my ND yesterday was prompted by a few things:    my skin seems to have a found a mind of it's own (acne), and I've have been noticing (especially since the beginning of my Alcohol-free Zone) a significant increase in sugar cravings.    Almost uncontrollable, really.    Amongst other things (sigh).

She explained to me that my regular wine consumption had been feeding the natural yeast levels in the my body, likley at somewhat elevated but maintainable levels.     When I took wine out of the "environment", my body went into overdrive, looking for a replacement.  Let's face it - wine is pure sugar.  (I read once that a glass of wine was like having a serving of dessert).     And hence, the sugar cravings.      But!!  I didn't even really notice the cravings to be honest, so I was feeding them.     Worst thing I could do - and I"m not talking about gaining weight (thankfully I didn't) - I'm talking about the dreaded......................CANDIDA.  (gawd, I hate that word on every level).

She explained to me that Candida sets up a little environment/village/city of it's own, and takes over, essentially.      And it keeps asking for more sugar, bring on the sugar, yeah, it likes the sugar.      You see, yeast (candida), thrives with sugar.   

Some of the most frequent Candida symptoms are:  (source)
  • abdominal gas and bloating
  • headaches
  • migraines
  • excessive fatigue
  • cravings for alcohol
  • anxiety
  • vaginitis
  • rectal itching
  • cravings for sweets
  • inability to think clearly or concentrate
  • hyperactivity
  • mood swings
  • diarrhea
  • constipation
  • hyperactivity
  • itching
  • acne
  • eczema
  • depression
  • sinus inflammation
  • pre-menstrual syndrome
  • dizziness
  • poor memory
  • persistent cough
  • earaches
  • low sex drive
  • muscle weakness
  • irritability
  • learning difficulties
  • sensitivity to fragrances and/or other chemicals
  • cognitive impairment
  • thrush
  • athlete's foot
  • sore throat
  • indigestion
  • acid reflux
Here are some links I suggest you have a look at - very interesting.  
http://www.holistichelp.net/candida.html
http://www.candidasymptoms.net/
http://www.naturesintentionsnaturopathy.com/candidiasis/candida-symptoms.htm

Yikes - it's pretty scary.    But what's scarier (IMO), it that our mainstream GP's likely wouldn't suggest Candida as a culprit, but rather, would treat the symtoms independent of one another (ie.  acne, infections, fatigue, depression, inability to concentrate).      

So, mind what you eat (crave?) over the holiday season.      And maybe up the probiotics - the Candida buster!

OK, enough seriousness, we are having a dinner party tonight, so thought I'd share my menu:

Duck with Blackberry Sauce
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Duck-with-Blackberry-Sauce-1265

Crisp Hericots Vert with Pine Nuts
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Crisp-Haricots-Verts-with-Pine-Nuts-240461

Wild Mushroom Risotto
(sorry, don't have a link)

Bread Pudding with Spiced Rum Sauce
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Bread-Pudding-with-Spiced-Rum-Sauce-105700
(this my friends, is simply Ah-mazing!!)

And now, because I think every post needs a pic:


(source)

Go forth and conquer the 2nd last Saturday before Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment