Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Time's there a changin'

Well, what a day this has been!!    What is the date today exactly?!     October 19th.    This one’s gotta be documented.    I’m tired - thought about not writing, but seriously, this one’s gotta be captured.

So, after going to to bed at 7:00 pm last night, with lights out at 7:30, I awoke at my typical 5:15 AM(!) to my alarm waking me for a work out.        Yes, I went to bed at 7:00 last night, and yes, it’s because I was up till (only?) midnight two nights in a row, and yes, this completely does me in and forces me to go to bed at 7:00 p.m.    Ok, so that’s covered.

So, I decided yesterday, that today was the first day of “Project Yoga”.    OK, no I didn’t make it to yoga on Sunday.  Why?    because I was up till midnight on Saturday night (see above), and I fell asleep on Sunday afternoon, and didn’t make it.     Covered. 

So, I found a class at 6:30 a.m. this morning, as I’m not an evening person (clearly [see above paragraph]) .   I am beginning to think that maybe yoga is best done in the a.m.     I hear that of a great studio, and I set out to attend a Kundalini 6:30 class.

So, feeling all rested (10 hours of sleep afterall), I arrive at the studio, and expressively explain I am there for Kundalini.       She asks me if I’ve ever attended such a class, to which I reply, ‘no’.      Her reply:    “Ohhhhh, okaaaaaay…….no problem”.      Hmmmmm, I wonder.       I begin to look around and realize that everyone who is funneling in to the studio is wearing white, and some have these turbin type things on their heads.     Me:   a purple (a nice colour for the record) Nike T-Shirt, yoga pants (at least they weren’t sweats), and my sweat socks.     I whisper to the woman, “why is everyone in white?”    She explains, it’s the Kundalini practice, and that it’s a spiritual thing.     Oh dear.    My athletic self is feeling very intimidated, or…..definitely in the wrong place.

                                    

So, I fight that off, and up I go to the “Soul Room”.     I am there with 5 other “students”.     The yogi approaches me in her ‘healing’ way, and explains the practice.       I’m OK, I’m good.    All good, not to worry.     Yeh, good to go.

And so we begin.    Chanting,     And lots of it.     I have to read off of a piece of paper, which surely, in my mind, defeats the whole purpose of the chant.    But I gotta ask, what’s up with the chanting?     I get that it’s a prayer in Sanskrit, but if it means nothing to you, is it really a prayer?     Reminds me  of going to Saturday night mass as a kid, at a french church in Quebec  (we’re anglo’s), not understanding a word, but by God, we were there.     What does it really mean?

So, I made it through, shorter than I expected (note:  no clock on the wall to watch).      Different.     And an……… experience.    Am feeling pretty good, Project Yoga has been kick started.
The day at work was an average day.     I’ll skip past that.

After work, I met my most favoured and reliable hair stylist.      She took me from from cougar- blond (my made up label just now) to 5-year old brunette (yes, I brought a picture of me when I was five - I had good hair then, so leave it!).      Fairly happy here.

Oh, no, the day is not over.     Next, I meet my old and very dear friend, Louise  at a wonderful wine bar in The Glebe.

                                    Lou
(this is Louise – nothing she does is mainstream [in a good way])

She is an amazing woman whom I love and cherish.    She is one of those friends that is just so comfortable to be with, it makes my heart open wide to be in her company.  ;)

We share some wine and some delicious Food.     All the while, ‘LouLou’ is probing, and prompting, and pushing me on my fitness level.       I explain to her that while my hormones are wacked, I’m feeling pretty strong physically.       She asks me how many (men’s) push-ups I can do.    I tell her.    She’s impressed.      We pay our bill, we leave, and she is still talking about these push-ups.     End-result:  there we both are, doing push-up’s on Fourth Avenue in the Glebe.     Leslie, you’d be proud.  

I remind her how times have changed.     We used to be in the Market at 2:00 a.m., eating street meet, smoking cigarettes, trying to hail a cab ‘cause we can’t drive.    Now, we’ve had minimal wine, good food, it’s 9:00 p.m. and we’re doing men’s pushups in the middle of the road ‘cause we’re so proud :).   
Oh, the time’s they are a changin’ (or I should say, “have changed" in this case).

My challenge to you:      aim to do 3 sets of 12 men’s push-ups 3 x week.      And, just to add to that, reconnect with an old friend – perhaps you can do the push-up’s together .

Love you Lou Lou!!!    Never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment